Friday, February 20, 2009

thanking myself out of shoulds and whys...a post-Valentines exploration of LOVE

Walking through Whole Foods there seemed to be an extremely large number of Flower purchases on Saturday. AH! Yes! Valentine’s Day! How could I forget? I stopped for a moment, pretending to look at the droves of chocolate assortments, but secretly catching glances with all of the faithful and diligent boyfriends and husbands purchasing flowers.
As I watch them selecting the various bouquets, I couldn’t help but think about the expectations we put on Love. Now that I think about it, my head is spinning. How many times have I expected the romantic dinner, the flowers, and the “I love you” post it note on my computer. Oh the boyfriends that never even had a chance, because it was always the next thing, the next trip, the next love letter. I was so busy fantasying about what was next; I didn’t even enjoy the moment. Oh yes, So many memories of useless expectations are now flooding my mind; there are simply not enough chocolates to distract me! I had to pause: STOP! And for all of the single ladies out there: BREATHE!!! Deep BREATH!
This “stinking thinking” is how it gets started. This is how the victim begins to creep in and take over. (or what Eckart Tolle calls the “ego”). First, it starts with observing the men in Whole Foods. Then, the emotion creeps in: “AW, FLOWERS, and How Sweet!” Then, it’s the fantasy of “what if I get flowers?” Then the reality: oh yeah, I don’t have a boyfriend. There it is: the truth.
For years, this is the place where I begin to attach all of the voices in my head. This is the place where the “shoulds” and “whys” start to creep into my head. But not this time!
This time, I softened my eyes, giggled to myself, and gave thanks right in the middle of the chocolate isle. Thanks to all of the boyfriends, girlfriends, wives and husbands who take time to love each other. Thanks for St. Valentine. Thanks for all of the strong and sexy single gals that have taught me how to embrace loving myself first! Thanks for the times that I feel so loved, and thanks for how differently love can drift in and out of my life. Thanks for the men in my life who DO know how to love, and who DO offer surprises and gifts, even when not prompted by a holiday. And thanks to all of the men and women who know how to take the truth and embrace. So, I don’t have a boyfriend, I don’t have a husband, and so it is. What truth about love are you ready to embrace?

2 comments:

Bruce Brown said...

Agreed, totally. Soul first, then heart, and last, if even necessary, head. Exult in the moment. Gratitude.

If the question arises, if any question arises, that's your head wanting to get involved. There lies judgement. The moment is not to be judged, it is to be lived and appreciated.

Rachel McPherson said...

Thanks Bruce, I'd love to read a blog about Love from YOU or MARGE! You two could teach a course, I'd take it!